Saturday, July 27, 2013

Happy Anniversary

My Mama and Daddy would have been married 72 years today!  I can't even conceive of spending that much time with someone, but . . .


Good that they did get together though, or there wouldn't have been a little ol' me!


Daddy wanted to send me back because I didn't have any hair, but they finally decided to keep me!

Many years later, I flew over to Arizona from Honolulu to throw a surprise 50th anniversary party for them, with the help of a couple gal pals!



Since I'm writing about food now, this is one of my favorite recipes from Mama's collection.  Daddy was basically a meat and potatoes kind of guy, and Mama was a terrific cook.  I have a lot of her recipes still, but this Christmas treat is the best!  Reading it over, I might just have to make them now, even though it's killer summer weather!  If I do, I'll add pictures!

Mama's SUPER Butterscotch Tea Cakes

½ C butter
¼ C brown sugar
cream together and add
1 C flour
½ tsp salt

pack in 8” square pan
bake at 325 for 15 minutes
cool

mix
1 ½ C brown sugar
1 C coconut (1 4-oz pkg)
2 T flour
1 C chopped walnuts
2 eggs, beaten

spread over pastry
bake at 350 until light brown, about 20-30 minutes

sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut while warm.

My mouth is watering, but I don't have any coconut in the cupboard right now.  Drat!

Happy Anniversary Mama and Daddy, wherever you are - probably on the heavenly golf course!  

2 Comments:

At 1:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary & thanks for giving us such a wonderful person in your daughter, Gayle.

These sound absolutely decadent. A must try recipe.

Thanks for sharing.
Linda

 
At 11:30 AM , Anonymous sooz said...

What a beautiful tribute to Mama and Daddy. How proud they must be to see all you've endured these past years, and yet you're still smilin' and bringing sunshine to those around you. NOW, as far as that delicious-sounding recipe is concerned; we may just have to have a bake-off next time I'm there. I have my grandmother's "famous" recipe for "Butterscotch Bars" which uses almost the same ingredients, about half as much, but definitely half the time to make 'em. (Of course, that probably equates to half the time to consume!) We'll see! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?