Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ohio River country

Thursday, October 18th, 2007
Greenfield, Indiana to Cincinnati, Ohio

221.5 miles
Wild weather

I’ve been through some wild storms – I mean, there’s really nothing like the monsoon summer storms in southern Arizona with thunder and lightning and rain and wind…I love those storms – but last night, there was a tornado watch, with accompanying winds and rain and thunder and lightning, and I was actually a bit concerned. Reminded me of the edge of a hurricane I’ve been thru, and made me think again of Annette in my favorite park in Kino Bay this summer when the hurricane passed right over them.

One good thing – in all that driving rain and wind, I didn’t have any rain leaks!! I guess the work that was done in Connecticut a few weeks ago did the job!!!

Anyway, the morning was still nasty – had made up my mind not to go on today, which was not an easy decision because I had an appointment tomorrow to get my water heater repaired. If I miss that, I really mess up my ‘schedule’, such as it is. Then the wind died down, the rain stopped, and the sun peeked out. So I decided to take off. As it turned out, the sun only lasted about an hour, and the winds came up again as soon as I hit the road, but I really wanted to keep that appointment, so I toughed it out.

The fall colors are in their glory here – and after the driving rain last night, everything is clean and glowing…so very pretty!!

Have to give some folks here in Indiana some credit – they are thumbing their noses at the politically correct community - many have special license plates saying “In God We Trust” – good for them!!

Highway 9 calls itself the “Highway of the Vice Presidents” – haven’t seen that before. So called because five of our Vice Presidents came from Indiana, three of those from the area along Hwy 9.

Shelbyville has a HUGE fiberglass factory! And I’m starting to see a number of wineries – but not a grapevine in sight.

And then there is the Hog Barn Restaurant. Somehow that just doesn’t sound appetizing!



This turned out to be a really nice day for a drive in the country – except for the f*ing wind! Beautiful countryside – more geese on the ponds, nice farm lands, neat homes and landscaping. Just plain pretty!

Roadside plaque in Dupont about Morgan’s Raid - a highly publicized incursion by the Confederacy in 1863. For 46 days as they rode over 1,000 miles from Tennessee to northern Ohio. Morgan eventually surrendered what was left of his command in northeastern Ohio. To many Southerners, the daring expedition behind enemy lines became known as The Great Raid of 1863, however in the end, it was just another in a string of defeats. At least so says the write-up in Wikipedia.

“The Regular Old Baptist Church” ?? as opposed to what, I wonder?




Picked up the Ohio River Scenic Byway – and oh my goodness this is a gorgeous area! Driving right on the river edge, looking across the river into Kentucky! Several locks and dams – big barges on the river. Lots of campgrounds and RV parks, although most of them look like my box wouldn’t fit in their sites. I am soooooooooo glad I chose to take this whole drive I had originally planned for this day, rather than cutting it short because of the wind. I’d hate to have missed this beautiful area!!


Just before arriving in Cincinnati, I passed thru Lawrenceburg, where there is a monstrous Seagrams facility! Sure looks big enough to make every single brand they make, but appears to just, just, make Seagrams Gin!



Between the hydro plants and Seagrams, they must employ everybody for miles around!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?