Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I'm NOT ready for winter!

Thursday, October 11th, 2007
St. Ignace to Marquette, Michigan

195.1 miles
Partly sunny to heavy overcast and COLD





It’s winter here already! Too damned cold for this gal spoiled by years of sunshine and ocean and desert breezes!

It was really windy this morning, but I took off anyway, trusting that the wind would die down when I drove inland a bit, thinking it was mainly whipping down the lakes. WRONG! But I have to get out of here – holy s* - the morning weather just said they’ve seen snow flakes already in THE Peninsula!

(Friday’s morning weather – I was so cold last night, I couldn’t bring myself to write nice things! I’m more of a morning person, so it’s easier to write, even when the fingers are cold.)




And now I’ve just heard that Al Gore just won the Nobel Peace prize, and Jimmy Carter is saying he should get back into politics and run for President. Oh dear.


Back to Michigan – the drive today took me thru some pretty harsh country. That said, again, as a spoiled pampered sun lover. In its own way, it’s wild and beautiful too! There are certainly no Halloween decorations to be seen up here. As the owner of the RV park I stayed in at the end of the day said, THIS is the last frontier – not Alaska! Not so many tourists!

Stores sell deer feed and bear bait. Saw a sign for “Bear Hounds – 4 sale cheap!” And the “Bear Butt Bar & Grill”

Most of the trees have gone naked already, although I did see small protected areas of some great color.

White caps in Whitefish Bay! And a “Loafer’s Paradise” address sign on one home.

Passing thru Newberry, a small bank sign said 12:30 and 44 degrees. Pretty green golf course there, with golfers playing. I could barely keep my coach on the road in this wind, and people are playing golf? They’re tougher than I am!

The skies went from partly sunny to heavy overcast again at about 1:30, as I passed from the Lake Huron Circle Tour to the Lake Superior Circle Tour. And there are actual waves breaking on the shoreline of Lake Superior. Looks cold!









Again, as I mentioned a few days ago, I’m reminded of looking out at an ocean – this isn’t a big lake, it’s a small ocean! Signs brag of the wild storms and ship wreck sites!

Pictured Rocks is a visitor site near Munising. “The crystal clear blue-green waters of Lake Superior have created masterpieces of colors and rock formations found no where else in the world.”


They offer boat cruises to see these wonders, and needless to say, I chose to pass! And this picture is obviously not mine – I copied it from the official website!

Arrived at this rustic RV park, almost deserted at this time of year. The owner is a true character – drove up to meet me, in a heavy parka and one of those furry caps with fold down ear covers. Obviously hadn’t spoken to anyone recently – couldn’t shut him up! If I wasn’t such a wimp and it wasn’t so cold, I’d like this park a lot more – it’s a beautiful layout, right across the road from Lake Superior, so I could hear the surf crashing all night!





Gitche Gumee RV Park & Campground
2048 M-28 east
Marquette, Michigan  49855
906-249-9102
www.gitchegumeervpark.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?