Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Took the freeway today

Tuesday, October 16th, 2007
Two Rivers, Wisconsin to Portage, Indiana

221.3 miles
Rainy, windy, gray

Nasty day to be on the road. I’m sitting here trying to remind myself that I choose to say something good each day. I think the best I can say today is that I was able to stick to the freeway and avoid bad weather on narrow two lane roads.

Actually it wasn’t all that bad – I put the beast into cruise control, and rarely touched it. Most of the roads were either in repair or needed to be, but traffic was relatively light.

Made it thru Milwaukee without any problems. It is a city of steeples – there were so many near the highway that I’d like to have been able to shoot – probably best that weather was so bad – kept me from running off the unfamiliar road while trying to take pictures. There sure were some beautiful old buildings!

Chicago is BIG – not my favorite driving. Unbelievably confusing set of roads – thank heavens for GPS guidance!!

Crossing into Indiana, you are greeted by the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore - Dunes rise 180 feet above Lake Michigan's southern shore with beaches, bogs, marshes, swamps, and prairie remnants and other natural features.

Crossed the Calumet River, which made me wonder about Calumet Baking Powder – so I looked it up. So, if you’re bored and interested in the history of baking powder, check
whatscookingamerica.net/History/BakingPowderHistory.htm They really aren’t as closely related as I hoped.

Gary, Indiana – as you enter the city limits, you pass by a HUGE water treatment plant, which a big sign saying “Gary Welcomes You!” Nice.


Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park
5300 Old Portage Road
Portage,  IN 46368
210-762-7757
www.campjellystone-portage.com
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?