Friday, March 26, 2010

more on food

After that little blurp on the Johns Hopkins stuff, I've been looking into diet. Since I'm lactose intolerant, I've been drinking soy milk for several years now. More and more studies are showing that's a big mistake. The article I just read is way too long to put in here, but if you're interested in learning some more about soy products, just click on the link.

Among other things it mentions is that it can lead to breast cancer! and pancreatic cancer. So much for my soy milk. Interestingly, the health food store fellow I met several weeks ago had suggested I give it up too, and gave me another article to read. I actually quit, after finishing the carton I had at the time, and tried Rice Milk.

It's absolutely tasteless to me, and now I read that it too is a waste of time, because it has way too much sugar and total carbs and almost ZERO protein. Why bother?

I've now heard of another alternative that I'll give a try - assuming I can find the stuff. Supposedly there is a new 'Coconut Milk Beverage' seen recently in grocery stores.
It seems to differ from the "coconut milk" that you see in cans in that it's diluted down more than canned coconut milk, so it's not such a thick coconut cream.

Coconut fat is one of the healthiest fats - it is saturated fat, but research has proven that it's a very healthy form, made mostly of medium chain triglycerides, including lauric acid, which supports a strong immune system.

The only problem is that the unsweetened version (1 gram of carbs) has only 1 gram of protein too. The solution is to get a good quality vanilla whey protein, sweetened with stevia, mix 3-4 scoops of the whey protein into a half gallon of the coconut milk beverage in a blender. That provides a milk alternative that's high in healthy fats and quality protein, with only 1 gram of sugar per 8 ounce serving.

Now, if I can just find 'coconut milk beverage'!!!

1 Comments:

At 4:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

OK, so yuck on it all. If it kills all the baddies, and helps to get my dear friend back to her kick-b---, well-self, then go for it. Remember the P-set is with you all the way.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?