Wednesday, February 3, 2010

PETscan results

I've been putting off posting the report on my PETscan, hoping for the results of the last biopsy to show up, but they are floating around the ozone somewhere, so I'll just skip it for now.

Actually, I hope the results do turn up eventually, because I do not want to go thru another biopsy. This last guy must have nicked a little blood vessel - my poor boob looks like a ripe eggplant, and is as tender as a big deep bruise can be. And that's after taking a bunch of Arnica to prevent bruising and swelling. (Arnica Montana is a homeopathic remedy that my old neighbor/acupuncturist/Chinese herbologist recommended to me for various other troubles - always helped in the past!!) No one is sticking needles in there again for a while - I guarantee that!!

The PETscan - the good news is that it showed no new bad guys!!! It confirmed again the tumors in the right breast and in two lymph nodes on the right side (up from the one that was biopsied). It did not show anything in the left breast, but the doctors say they must still wait for the missing biopsy results to confirm that because the PETscan does miss little areas. Huh? So why did we do it? Oh yeah, to see if it's anywhere else - in big masses of cancer cells.

The bad news that accompanied that report, which I received from the 'medical oncologist' (that's the guy I immediately took a disliking to, which is now revised), is that my tumors are HER2+. That was definitely not what I wanted to hear.

I'd never heard of HER2+ of course, but Dr. Brooks says it is a very aggressive and fast moving beast. And said it's "curable" which is a very exciting description!

Approximately 25% of breast cancer patients have tumors that are HER2+, which stands for
Human Epidermal growth factor Receptor 2. Each normal breast cell contains copies of the HER2 gene in its DNA, which helps normal cells grow. The HER2 protein, also called the HER2 receptor, is found on the surface of some normal cells where they send growth signals from outside the cell to the inside of the cell, telling the cell to grow and divide. In HER2+ breast cancer, the cancer cells have an abnormally high number of HER2 genes per cell. When this happens, too much HER2 protein appears on the surface of these cancer cell, called HER2 protein overexpression. Too much HER2 protein is thought to cause cancer cells to grow and divide more quickly, which is why HER2+ breast cancer is considered aggressive.

Women with HER2+ breast cancer may be less likely to respond to certain breast cancer treatments, and may be more likely to have a recurrence (return) of their cancer. Cheery news, but he did say it's curable!

This means that I'm leaning more and more toward chemo, which I am adamantly opposed to. Curable is a very appealing word!

Herceptin is the 'cure' for the HER2+ beasties, although in reading up on it at the site provided in the link, it doesn't sound quite as effective as Dr. Brooks made it out to be. Gives me a couple more questions for next time I see him!


No pictures this time of the PETscan results - they gave me a Xerox copy of the film he showed me, but there are 24 images on one page, and it's basically totally worthless to the untrained eye.

Tomorrow I see my surgeon, and she says she'll have a proposed plan of attack, so I'll report back in with that info - not really looking forward to it. This is where we get down to the slicing and dicing - where it really hits home. Thankfully, I have an incredible support system from my very special friends scattered all over the map, and from my sweet Silver Fox!

4 Comments:

At 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen up! Wrap that incredible mind of yours around that one word description. "Curable," he said. Repeat. "Curable."

Begin by reminding yourself at least 24 times a day of just that one word descriptor - curable.

Then follow the instructions of the physicians who're gonna' make that happen.

 
At 11:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

'Nother round of hope, prayers and well wishes coming your way for tomorrow's news.

Think positive....and feel all the warm hugz surrounding you!

'loha...

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Don't forget my 25 years with the cancer still in my body & I am doing fine!!
Just love life.

 
At 10:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I don't normally leave comments, but I just wanted to say thanks for the great information. I have a blog too, though
I don't write as good as you do, but if you want to check it out here it is. Thanks again and have a great day!

World of Warcraft Hunter Pets

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?