Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Onward!

Wednesday, August 1st, 2007
Canadian border at St. Stephen, New Brunswick, finally, to Saint John, NB

I didn’t even notice the weather, I was so happy to get out of town. (see 7/29/07)

Which was not really like me, especially because St. Stephen has a Chocolate Museum of some repute – but they didn’t have the opportunity to entice me – I just wanted to get away before the cops changed their collective minds!

I will say the roads in New Brunswick are so much better than Maine’s roads that it was like moving from a bed of rocks to a Select Comfort mattress! That helped my mood!

New Brunswick is water bound on three sides and has several natural harbors – one being their side of the Bay of Fundy, famous for its phenomenal tides, sometimes reaching a change of 52 feet!!! The province is heavily forested, and as such presents that incredible palette of green colors that I love so much – so many colors, so many different trees, so beautiful!!

Forestry and the products of the sea are major sources of income for New Brunswick, but tourism is the number one “industry”. Which says a lot since they have a relatively short visitor season!

The climate here is classified “humid continental”, to which I’ll attest! As in MUGGY!!! Which of course means mosquitoes!! Hungry mosquitoes!!

We missed out on a tour of Saint John today, of course, and a visit to the famous Reversing Falls – a unique water fall caused by the tremendous tide in the Bay of Fundy – an underwater ledge, 36’ below the Falls causes the rising tide to slow the river current to a stop for about 20 minutes. When the tide is higher than the river, the reversal of the current occurs and water rises up to about 14 feet. This action happens at both high and low tides, and sounds so special that I may return to see it myself!

The last bit to the day was to drive onto a tiny little ferry to cross a finger of the sea to the island where our RV park was located. Just what I needed, but having experienced an even smaller ferry last summer at Dawson City, this was turned out to be a snap! I was so beat up after the previous day’s ordeal, that we opted not to go to the groups evening meal, but one of the gals was sweet enough to bring us our dinner – which considering the time involved, was quite good!

Nice to have a peaceful night’s sleep!!!!!



Harding's Point Campground
P.O.Box 2506
St. John, New Brunswick
506-763-2517

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?