Saturday, July 28, 2007

Lobster!!!!!

Friday, July 27th, 2007
Dover, NH to Camden, ME


152.8 miles
Beautiful day!




I keep saying the days have been beautiful, and they have been . . . beautiful to look at! But I have to admit, I’m finding this particular summer weather to be terribly oppressive. It is so humid and hot – hot for here anyway, apparently. And my personal thermostat is malfunctioning dramatically! I simply can’t take the humidity anymore! I guess I really did get accustomed to the ‘dry heat’ of the desert! Oh well – it is so gorgeous here, that I just keep on going!

And it was a fun day! Not too many miles, but Maggie and I were weaving in and out and around and about the incredible coastline of Maine! The highway 1 here is as incredible, in its own way, as the coast highway 1 in California! A little more touristy, a lot more crowded, a lot more signs – all in all absolutely wonderful!

You know I love signs - we saw terrific signs all day – great imaginations from these folks, great play on words, lots of entertainment just in reading signs! Not to mention the marvelous homes, the beautiful flowers! (I know, I know, I talk all the time about flowers! What can I say? I love flowers! And the people who live in really cold country do their best to make beautiful flower arrangements in windows and yards, taking advantage of the summer sun!!)

Signs - there was “Brenda’s Bloomers” which was a flower shop! And “Sister Mary Catherine’s Origami Sushi Internet Bar” . . . the “Tipsy Butler Bed & Breakfast” or “Oriental Rugs and Fiddle Repair” . . . the what?

The signs are even gorgeous along this coastline - the "open" signs are almost all pennants in red, white and blue and sometimes yellow - so much nicer than neon! And name signs are in fancy script with big gold lettering - classy!!

We saw Elvis was sitting at a bus stop in Kennebunk! Not quite as classy, but fun!!

Lobster signs everywhere, lobster rolls, lazy man's lobster, twin lobster and more – and fresh blueberries, OMG the fresh blueberries! It took us 7 hours to go 150 miles, but it was worth every minute of it! People watching, neat bridges, church steeples, sail boats, flowers, more people watching . . . fun fun day!

Spent an extra day once we arrived in Camden, outside Rockport, to relax and organize, and especially for dinner tonight, Saturday. We went to a neighboring RV park, Megunticook Campground by the Sea, Saturday night Lobster Feast! A feast to change plans for, a feast to die for! One and a half pound lobsters, caught today, buckets of fresh clams, all the fresh corn we could eat . . . outside on a deck overlooking Penobscot Bay with the fog rolling in. Stunning!


We could hear the fog horn warning boaters of the wild coast line!

The fog horn we heard was from Owl’s Head lighthouse, and interestingly enough, we had just heard about that particular lighthouse on the Travel Channel today! The story was about haunted lighthouses of America, and this Maine lighthouse was so interesting, I looked it up online, and found even more fun stories . . . one about the resident dog who had learned to pull the cord that sounded the fog horn when he heard a boat coming too close, credited with saving lives ( naturally, I tell the dog story!) For more stories about this neat place, check out
http://lighthouse.cc/owls/history.html - fascinating history!




Too much fun!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?