Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bad bad Badlands!

July 10, 2007
Hill City to Mitchell, SD

339.2 miles
WINDY!!! Way too windy!!!
The sun rose on a clear cool morning, and I packed up and headed out, but I stopped first to take a helicopter tour of the area!



I took the Harney Peak tour, which included Sylvan Lake, the Mt. Coolidge Fire Tower and the Crazy Horse Memorial! Gave me an opportunity for some more great pictures!

Among other things, we were lucky enough to see a Golden Eagle floating along looking for a snack, and then being attacked by some smaller birds, maybe hawks! He was beautiful - I haven't seen pictures from above - the colors in his spread wings were glorious!!

There is only one manned fire tower now in the area - this one is not it - this is the Mt. Coolidge Fire Tower, which has been abandoned for some time. It was originally built of wood, but had been struck by lightning. It was rebuilt of stone and is now a historical site. As you might guess, it's the high point on this ridge!






The Sylvan Lake is a popular recreation area - and serves as the water source for this entire area!





We saw a herd of about 80 buffalo, which a rancher brings here for the summer and moves back north for the winter. There are plenty of wild buffalo left roaming the mountains too. I saw one big old bruiser was walking down the road blocking traffic in front of me the previous afternoon - he wasn't the least bit worried about us. He was bigger than most of the cars! Sorry I cut off his forehead - he had finally decided to hightail it outta there!

Saw a herd of pronghorn deer yesterday too, crossing the road!

Back to the helicopter - then it was off to Crazy Horse, with views most folks can't see!




He looks almost Egyptian there, doesn't he?!!




Then it was back to the barn, and my little ol' house taking up most of the parking lot!



Great start to my day!!
Saw the bikers again as I headed north to Rapid City and then east. A tough bunch, I tell you!

The wind came up when I got out of the mountains - and I mean it was blowing! I should have retreated back to the safety of the mountains, but I didn't think it would last. Yeah, right. Cross wind howling into my side window the entire day - made for a LONG bloody day! Prairie the entire way across the State - with the grass laying down flat! Even the cattle had bunched up close together for protection from the bloody wind!

There are billboards for miles around - at least 50 miles in all directions - for Wall Drug, the everything store for everyone, in the town of Wall. I figured I had to see what all the commotion was about, but when I got there, the town was jammed with tourists, and the only parking for a beast my size was almost a mile from the famous Wall Drug. I passed on it, but the drive thru the main part of town reminded me of Tombstone . . . cute, touristy, and fun. Maybe next time!

I almost by-passed the little side trip thru the Badlands, but decided I might as well do it, since I was already there. And, oh my heavens, what a place. I turned through a bend in the road and there was the most incredible landscape!







What a surprise - and what a spectacular vista! the colors, the layers, the wear and tear and melting - gorgeous! Looks like a perfect place for the astronauts to practice moon walking!!





I'd been in grassland - where did this place come from? Wild, harsh, arid, colorful, and unbelievably beautiful!




By the time I left the Badlands, the day was already getting old. I had a long way to go to my RV park for the evening in Mitchell, so I just held on tight and kept going. In the wind, it's a battle the entire way, fighting the gusts. I had to wonder if it was normal - the rest areas all had little chapels in the parking lots - as if people needed to say thanks and ask for help to continue!
My hands still ache today, and my shoulders and my elbows, for gawd sake! I slept 11 hours last night, and I'm still exhausted! Decided to stay an extra day here to get caught up and recuperate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?