Thursday, October 21, 2010

Nerves are awakening

It's eight months since my breast cancer surgery, and things are still happening under the skin and scars. Damaged tissue is finally starting to soften up, feeling more like a normal body than a hard board. The numb areas are shrinking, and nerves are coming back to life.

Little electric shocks running across my chest, down my arm, down my back. But what's really kind of amusing is the phantom limb feeling I'm having.

Most of us are at least familiar with the term 'phantom limb' - it's the feeling that many amputees experience, like our returning military heroes, when they reach to scratch their foot, even though there's no foot there to scratch. The nerves still think it's down there somewhere and tell the brain it itches.

Well - I'm delighted to report (??) that it's happening to me now - my nerves are telling me my missing boob is being pinched or squished or mashed. I caught myself reaching to adjust myself (see, it's not just guys who have to adjust themselves once in a while!!) and there was nothing there to adjust. Huh? I looked down to see my hand cupping my non-existent boob to relieve the pressure. Glad no one was watching!

Phantom limbs aside, a girlfriend shared a great link this morning about food values - it gives vitamin and mineral contents of fruits and veggies and proteins, and includes a very comprehensive listing of what foods naturally provide the vitamin or mineral you might be looking for. Fascinating and helpful list!! Great assist in trying to stay naturally healthy!

Just read my Tarot Card for the day (for amusement, not life style) and I like this one:

"The Nine of Wands card suggests that my power today lies in remarkable gratitude. I am not a victim. There are no lost causes. ""I've been there, done that, and know suffering -- but it's all good."" I'm still standing. ""Can't touch this."" Self-pity is an excuse to do nothing. To appeal to sympathy for pity's sake is to seek affirmation of the choice to do nothing. I am empowered by the spirit and support of meaningful experience and I transform with silent resilience."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?