Friday, April 16, 2010

First Chemo - Day Four

Boy, yesterday was rough. No nausea, thankfully!!!!! But my head hurt worse than I've ever experienced, and I've had headaches every single day since that auto accident 36 years ago. Finally took a Fioricet - which has been my fall-back for years when the headache is overpowering. It helped - it at least broke the screaming barrier and brought it down to barely tolerable.

Spent most of the day in bed - I hurt everywhere, but mostly in my chest and neck and shoulders. None of the suggested remedies helped at all.

I knew I needed to eat, so finally got up and made one of my favorite comfort foods (not chocolate in this instance!) - ramen noodles, spaghetti squash, spinach and leftover chicken, with a little wasabi mayo (from Trader Joe's) for spice. That's when I realized that my taste buds have truly left already. I didn't expect that, for some reason, until later - after more build up of the stuff, or something. Now my tongue just feels furry, although it still looks normal, and everything tastes bitter. Gonna be a long five months...

Also, my tongue has begun to blister - you know those painful little bumps you get sometimes? Well I have about a half dozen, so far. Looked it up online, and apparently there isn't much that can be done. One of the prescribed aids is Zovirax, which I've taken in my past life for cold sores, herpes. Damn - does that mean these things are herpes?? That I can't even kiss anyone for the duration?

That one earned a phone call to the chemo parlor - they assure me that these blisters are not herpes, and are simply a reaction to the chemo (simply?) and they can help me with them. They are calling in a prescription for 'miracle mouthwash', which 'should clear them up in a couple days'!!

Then there's the headache - I just spoke with sweet Linda at the chemo parlor and she told me the headache is a reaction to the anti-nausea drug, not the Neulasta, and that it's also fixable. My Fioricet will help, but not prevent them. So I'm also getting a drug to take an hour before chemo which will mitigate the aftermath. Hopefully!

So, with all that info, I'm feeling better today. And I truly am feeling better today. The muscle aches are tolerable - I hurt in so many places every day anyway, what's one more - the headache is just a normal dull ache as we speak, and my spirits are back up.

3 Comments:

At 7:01 PM , Anonymous Suzie said...

Damn, Gayle, when we last talked just 2 days ago, you was doin' "just fine..." Now all these aches and pains; I am so sorry to hear that. I do hope those folks at the Chemo Parlor (is that your phrase, or is that how they refer to themselves?) can help you through this. Do take care, keep the positive thoughts, get plenty of rest and comfort foods (if you can find any that work with the new taste buds.) My good wishes, aloha and prayers are with you - all the time. Sooz

 
At 9:16 AM , Blogger Martib said...

Hey Bunkie,

Sounds like no fun at all. You are such strong, brave woman and I have so much admiration for how you are handling all of this. The education you are providing for all of the women who may be at risk for breast cancer is amazing.

I wish I could say it will get better. You and I both know that it would be a lie. So, power through my dear friend. Know that there are a gang of friends who love you and support you and send you love, prayers and warm thoughts. Marts

 
At 12:23 AM , Blogger old and in the way said...

Hi Gayle:

What a trooper !!! I have now just been able to read all your blogs from the first of April until now. The pictures are just horrible. What your poor body has had to put up with all these years., and to top it off, you've had to go through this operation. I'm so proud of you Sweetie for having the guts to do it. Then being able to endure the post op trauma. Your writing is so vividyet wonderfully done. Sure do hope you turn this writing into an autobiography. It can help other women know what they might face if in a similar situation. So graphic that it puts shivers up my spine. Having known you so many years ago, and knowing back then how strong you were, I had no doubts that you could do this. You ARE incredible Sweetie.

I find myself having to stop and wipe the tears away. Oh well, I've always been too sentimental anyway.

I have been on tour with the group in British Columbia for the last two weeks. That's why I haven't been up to date on your progress. It's been a very successful tour for us.

Canadian's just love American Folk Music, Country, Bluegrass and Mountain Music. Our concerts were sold out every night and we did twelve shows in ten days. Hotels/motels in Canada, don't always have Internet access and so it was hit and miss. We are on our way back to Eugene and should get there on Saturday this week.

It will be so good to sleep in my own bed again and have Dianne next to me. We have re-booked several concerts for next year and that is exactly what we want since this tour was very profitable for us. We are now able to replenish the band bank account and put a chunck of change in each of our pockets.

That's the latest on this end and thank God you have had the Silver Fox by your side. What a gift you have in him.

Enough for now. Pauly is waiting to use the computer here so I'd better get out of the way. I'm thinking of you "Ole Friend" and my prayers are always with you. Keep improving and know it WILL get better.

Lee

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?