Saturday, August 25, 2007

Back to Mainland

Saturday, August 25th, 2007
Debert, NS to St. John, NB

189.6 miles

Fog, clouds and finally a little sun





I had planned to continue on yesterday, but awakened to heavy rain. I just couldn’t find the energy to unhook and drive off in the rain, so I stayed an extra day.

Listening to the only TV station I could pick up in the rain last night (listening because all I have is snow!) presented an interesting phenomenon – at the 5 o’clock news, they offer congratulations and warm wishes to people celebrating their 50th or more anniversaries – they announced at least 20 couples last night, and at least as many the night before! That’s just Nova Scotia couples, with 50 or more years of wedded bliss! That’s a whole lot of long married old folks! Ignoring the obvious statement of attitude, and a lot of promises kept, that’s proportionately a big piece of the local population who’ve made it to a ripe old age! The longest married last night were at 73 years and counting!!!!!!!

The weatherman had promised sunshine today, but again he lied. Heavy fog, was what I saw, and it hung around a long time. I finally took off about 11 am because I really wanted to get moving. Moving slowly mind you, but moving. The blop in the middle of this lovely picture is a mashed chip in the windshield - good spot for it, yes?

The rivers were running brown with mud from yesterdays heavy rains. Made me think of the poor fishies – must be tough for a fish to breathe when his water world is full of mud instead of clear water. When laughing at myself for thinking such odd thoughts, I had one more – where to the mosquitoes go when it rains – yesterday, on the two occasions I could get Penny out to get her feet wet, I wasn’t attacked by mosquitoes. Which I liked! But where do the little suckers go? Why doesn’t someone go there and murder them?

I know, I know, I shouldn’t be straining my poor brain with thoughts like that when I should be concentrating on staying on the road in heavy fog. OK.

Passed by Oxford, which claims to be the Blueberry Capital of Canada, and then Amherst, with “Faith in our People, Pride in our Products”, whatever those products might be.

When I crossed into New Brunswick, the roads went to hell, and suddenly the land was empty of trees. It’s so long since I’ve seen fields, it was quite a shock! The roads improved soon, and the hillsides were covered with trees again. Trees, and towns and farms and villages – what a treat!

Saw a big billboard saying “Nature’s Air Filters – planting 33 million trees per year”!

The highway skirted the outskirts of Moncton, the first big city I’ve seen in a couple weeks. I’m returning to civilization.

Saw a drive-in movie in Sussex!! Well cared for, so it must be active! And an RV park backs up on it – wonder if the RVers get speakers and can watch too??

Stopped for gas and went into a McDonalds to finally try a McLobster sandwich. The lobster was good, but I liked the Subway lobster sandwich better. McDonald’s was just a blob of lobster salad on a dry hot dog bun. I wouldn’t be opposed to having a McLobster again, but I’d get a green salad too, and put the lobster on the salad!

The sun peeked through the clouds and fog just as I was arriving in Saint John. But my favorite weatherpeople are saying more rain tonight and tomorrow. Oh well, I did get a brief fix!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Animal Rescue Site

HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere is
1
person with my name in the U.S.A.

How many have your name?